Sunday 13 September 2015

Tom Cruise Rocket Man

I'm in the backseat of a smart, black car. Outside, a movie is rolling, all around the vehicle.

Tom Cruise is a character in a rocket suit speeding through the air above multiple freight containers. He's flying over enormous vessels. Together they are the size of a small city and each one is bearing rows of multicoloured containers. Things like flying train engines pull them through the sky.

Cruise speeds over them as fast as he can. Sometimes he disables the rockets so he can swoop down and fly between them, sweeping along corridors of metal.

He grabs parts of the structure in order to change direction, hauling himself up, or onwards, or down, firing up the rockets, shutting them off. His skill at flying is impressive. His determination is as breathtaking as his pace. It's like parkour with a rocket pack.



There are enemies amid the containers. It's Mission Impossible meets James Bond meets Iron Man. Cruise takes them out by flying into them or by hurling them over the edges of containers. He mixes martial arts with aerial maneuvers.

He must reach the head of the lead vessel before the clock runs out. Cruise's face is determined as he battles with gravity, inertia and enemy personnel. He is alert and, though he has a sense of urgency, he is relatively calm.

Exhausted, I fall asleep for what seems like a few minutes. When I wake, I look out of the window and the scene is still going on. It's the most amazing chase scene I've ever seen and I'm sort of in it. The heights are breathtaking and I feel a thrill as Cruise mounts containers and flies down, down, down the sides of stacks, free-falling in the midst of a great container city. The buildings are red and blue and yellow and green and there are lights blinking below to show highways and byways between the boxes. Watching the movie is as exhilarating and vertiginous as a roller coaster ride.

When I wake, I feel energised and capable of surmounting any obstacle with speed, class and grace, which is good, because the kids are crying.

2 comments:

  1. Day Events:

    Before going to sleep for this nap, which lasted just over an hour, I started research on the 'Calais crisis', read one article and looked at images of the recent events regarding migrants at Calais, as well as photos and a description of Operation Stack, in which freight vehicles are parked on the M20 when there is disruption at the Channel Tunnel.

    I saw pictures of police being outnumbered by migrants, blurred legs and arms, running. I saw a picture of a guy sitting and holding onto the undercarriage of a lorry. I saw lorries parked up on the M20 making it like a large car park of containers.

    I organised my work list and have an upcoming project that will feature Iron Man.

    I'm writing stories that feature smart black cars and someone being chauffeur driven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broken a bit of a dry spell with this dream. I was starting to worry, thinking that my subconscious had stage fright since I started populating this site with dreams. I now think, however, that something else was at play. Please look out for a near-future post on my (crippling) sleep debt.

    The main thing that strikes me about the Tom Cruise Rocket Man dream is that it strongly features elements that I had been thinking about in the 15 minutes prior to sleeping. The containers at Calais and the truck park on the M20 went straight into the dream.

    Regarding Iron Man, this project is a bit of fun for the son of a friend. Interestingly, I looked at my various writing projects that are queued up and this was one with a relatively low priority. I'm looking forward to getting to it, but it doesn't satisfy my immediate need to make a living, nor is it an idea that I originated and am excited about. In fact, I don't have much of an idea at all. So I'm surprised that this project was the one that entered into my dream. Is the fact that I haven't worked on it at all and am not yet excited about it the factors that made it so prominent? It's as if my subconscious is saying: "Since you haven't given this your time, I'll pop it into your dream and give it a boost."

    Why was it Tom Cruise flying around with a jet pack and not Robert Downey Junior? I have little to no idea. I have thought a couple of times of that scene in Mission Impossible (I forget the number) in which he performs a magic trick, making something disappear from his hands, in order to convince a backstabbing colleage that he has switched the top secret storage device with a fake, when in reality this is not true at all. I like this scene and it popped in there a few times in the last couple of weeks, but these were fleeting thoughts. Evidently it was the stuff that dreams are made of.

    Another filmic reference in the dream is a nod to Gravity, in which George Clooney and Sandra Bullock are propelling themselves with jets and grabbing onto things. I watched this film for the second time recently - M and I only meant to watch the first 10 minutes, but it's just so captivating ... - and I'm not that surprised that I dreamt of these elements, but it took me a while to spot it and it's been a while coming.

    Something else that is worth noting is that last week I had a dream with negative themes and feelings that left me feeling awful for days.

    "Waves swell within the lake. There appear to be currents moving in two directions, causing a storm in the water."

    On waking from the rocket man dream, however, I felt energised and capable. Good feelings that I want to cultivate. Dreams are so powerful. Again I'm wondering how dreams affect our moods and the decisions we make, even when we don't remember them.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!